Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Quotes from "The Outsiders" by S. E. Hinton

Quotes from "The Outsiders" by S. E. Hinton:
I just finished reading "The Outsiders" and thought I might just share my favorite quotes from the book.
 Goodreads Amazon | My Review
“He and Soda worked at the same filling station  Steve part time and Soda full time  and their station got more customers than any other in town. Whether that was because Steve was so good with cars or because Soda attracted girls like honey draws flies, I couldn't tell you. (p. 15)

“I had to read Great Expectations for English, and that kid Pip, he reminded me of us - the way he felt marked lousy because he wasn't the gentleman or anything, and the way that girl kept looking down on him. That happened to me once.” (p. 22)

“I turned my head to look at him and in the moonlight he looked like some Greek god come to earth. I wondered how he could stand being so handsome.” (p. 25)


“You must make such interestin' conversation,” he'd say, cocking one eyebrow, you keepin' your mouth shut and Johnny not sayin' anything.” But Johnny and I understood each other without saying anything. (p. 46)

“It seemed funny to me that the sunset she saw from her patio and the one I saw from the back steps was the same one. May be the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset.” (p. 47-48)

“It seems like there's gotta be somewhere without greasers or Socs, with just people. Plain ordinary people.” (p. 55)

Since I was dreaming I brought Mum and Dad back to life... Mum could bake some more chocolate cakes and Dad would drive the pick-up out early to feed the cattle.” (p. 55)

I listened to his heart pounding through his T-shirt and knew everything was going to be okay now. I had taken the long way round, but I was finally home.” (p. 107)

Asleep, he looked a lot younger than going-on-seventeen, but I had noticed that Johnny looked younger when he was asleep, too, so I figured everyone did. May be people are younger when they are sleep.” (p. 112)

Our front door is always unlocked in case one of the boys is hacked off at his parents and needs a place to sleep and cool off. We never could tell who we'd find stretched out on the sofa in the morning.” (p. 113)

... You get a little money and the whole world hates you.” “No,” I said, “you hate the whole world.” (p. 126)

“Sixteen years on the streets and you can learn a lot. But all the wrong things, not the things you want to learn. Sixteen years on the streets and you see a lot. But all the wrong sights, not the sights you want to see.” (p. 131)

“We're all we've got left. We ought to be able to stick together against everything. If we don't have each other, we don't have anything...” (p. 186)

“But it still hurt anyway. You know a guy a long time, and I mean really know him, you don't get used to the idea that he's dead just overnight. (p. 188)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...