Friday, October 25, 2013

Quotes from "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green

This is the first John Green book that I read, and I really loved it.
Goodreads Amazon Kindle | My Review
“My parents were my two best friends. My third best friend was an author who did not know I existed.” (p. 12)

Id learned this from my aforementioned third best friend, Peter Van Houten, the reclusive author of An Imperial Affliction, the book that was as close a thing as I had to a Bible. Peter Van Houten was the only person Id ever come across who seemed to (a) understand what it's like to be dying, and (b) not have died. (p. 13)

“But you dont even have my phone number,” he said.
“I strongly suspect you wrote it in the book.”
He broke out into that goofy smile. “And you say we dont even know each other.” (p. 37)


“This old woman gave a lecture wherein she managed to talk for ninety minutes about Sylvia Plath without ever once quoting a single word of Sylvia Plath.” (p. 52)

“Thats the thing about pain,” Augustus said, and then glanced back at me. “It demands to be felt.” (p. 63)

“The sky was gray and low and full of rain but not yet raining. I hung up when I got Augustus's voice mail and then put the phone down in the dirt beside me and kept looking at the swing set, thinking that I would give up all the sick days I had left for a few healthy ones. (p. 120-121)

“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once. (p. 124-125)

“Why are breakfast foods breakfast foods?” I asked them. “Like, why dont we have curry for breakfast?” (p. 137)

“Its embarrassing that we all just walk through life blindly accepting that scrambled eggs are fundamentally associated with mornings. (p. 143)

“... Youre arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But thats a lie, and you know it. (p. 145)

“That plane had TVs in the back of each seat, and once we were above the clouds, Augustus and I timed it so that we started watching the same romantic comedy at the same time on our respective screens. But even though we were perfectly synchronized in our pressing of the play button, his movie started a couple seconds before mine, so at every funny moment, hed laugh just as I started to hear whatever the joke was. (p. 148)

“I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things... (p. 153)

“You are fairly smart,” I said after a while.

“You are fairly good at compliments,” he answered. (p. 223)

“The problem, of course, is that theres no way of knowing that your last good day is your Last Good Day. At the time, it is just another good day. (p. 253)

“... You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I’m grateful. (p. 260)

“I just wanted to go back to that secret post-terrestrial third space with him that we visited when we talked on the phone. I waited for that feeling, but it never came. (p. 263)

“You dont get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you. (p. 313)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...