Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Review:

If I were to describe this book in a single word, it would be: Beautiful. The last time I remember crying while reading a book was when I read Jodi Picoult's My Sister's Keeper. The ending was abrupt but suited me just fine. As I read the last lines of the book: I do, Augustus. I do” and turned the page (expecting more from the story) I found myself staring at the acknowledgments page.
Anyway, it was a beautiful book. I really felt for Augustus, Hazel, and Isaac. Hazel with lung cancer, Augustus with osteosarcoma (which ate one of his legs), and Isaac with eye cancer (which has taken his one eye), all three teenagers, struggling with their lives. This book tells you how it feels like to be dying, knowing the fact that you've just bought only little time to stay a few more years in this world. It's even painful to love someone who you know won't last.

Hazel, the protagonist, is forced by her parents to join a Support Group, which Isaac also attends. Just before Isaac's other eye is to be removed (due to eye cancer) he brings Augustus to the Group. And the twist comes in Hazel's story. My favorite secondary character from the book was Isaac. I sometimes did wonder what his mother looked like (she was mentioned a couple of times in the story but with no detail).
John Green was one of the authors I greatly admired but never attempted to read. Since my favorite genre is mystery/thriller I very occasionally pick up a young adult or romance. The time finally came when my sister brought this book and I grabbed to read it. I still feel like crying whenever I think about it.
Goodreads Amazon Kindle
Quotes:
“You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you.”
-- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (p. 313)

My Rating:


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...